Thursday 8 November 2012

Value and portrait studies

In 2013 I am going to try and tighten up my traditional illustration skills.  With that in mind I produced these still life value studies while waiting to start work on the next series of Mount Pleasant.  My aim is to do at least one still life a week this year (even if its only some quick sketching).

These grey scale value studies take 3-4 hours to complete.  I set the subject up in a blacked out room with only a angle poise projecting controllable light.  Then I sketch the subject with a pencil, scan that drawing into the computer and paint the values in photoshop (I also used the photoshop text tools when needed).

The challenge was to paint a white subject on a white background (the bowl), a grey subject on grey background (KKK mickey sculpture), and a black subject on a black background (hard drive, camera, rugby ball).  I got the idea for this exercise from the brilliant ctrlpaint website.

Hopefully I will be adding a lot more of these studies to my blog over the next year.

A portrait study.  I would like to do more of these this year.  It will be interesting to see how much I can improve in 12 months.

A quick value study of a white bowl on a white background.
Value study of a grey sculpture in front of a grey towel.  The KKK mickey mouse was a project I worked on while at uni.  This is one of the rough casts I had left over.
Value study of various black items on a black background
A rendering of my hand manikin

A second rendering of the same hand manikin

This is a photo of the set up I use for the studies.